Bluffton was settled in 1728 and founded in 1852.
Yearly Weather for Bluffton, South Carolina
Average Temperatures in Bluffton
Warm Months: From late May 25 to early September 18, the average daily high temperature is above 84°F. The hottest day of the year usually is July 22, with an average high of 90°F and low of 76°F. The highest temperature on record is 107°F which was recorded in 1985.
Chilly Months: The cool season lasts for roughly three months, from December to March with an average daily high temperature below 65°F. The coldest part of the year is typically the end of January (average low of 42). The coldest temperature on record is 4°F which was recorded in 1986.
Average Rain in Bluffton
Rain: The summer months carry the greatest risk of rain all year (from the end of May to the end of September). August historically generates the most rainfall averaging 5.1 inches. Like most coastal community on the East coast, a majority of the precipitation comes late afternoon in the summer.
Demographic Information Bluffton, SC 2017
Population: 21, 085
Median Age: 35.1 Over 65: 12.3%
Race: 76.9% White, 2.4% Asian, 0.6% Native American, 14.2% Hispanic/Latino
Income Per capita: $30,929
Median Household: $67,157
Below Poverty Level: 8.4%
Education: Diploma 93.3%, Bachelor’s Degree 39.8%
Housing: Median rent $1,370, Median home value $221,200
New Building Permits Residential: 870
New Building Permits Commercial: 49
Number of Military Veterans: 1,001
Sq. Miles: 54
COST OF LIVING
Compared to the rest of the country, Bluffton’s cost of living is 9.20% higher than the U.S. average.
Average Commute time is 24 minutes. The National Average is 26 minutes.
Schools in Bluffton
Elementary Schools: 7
Middle Schools: 5
High Schools: 2
11 Private Schools
Bluffton was just recently ranked the 4th safest city to live in South Carolina by HomeSnack. Bluffton has the fourth lowest property crime and the sixth lowest violent crime rates in the state of South Carolina. Click here to see their report.
Fires Stations: 8 (that includes Palmetto Bluff location) The District maintains eight fire stations and provides 24-hour fire and emergency services to the resident’s within the 246 square miles that make up the Fire District. Emergency services include fire suppression, emergency medical response, specialized and technical rescue response, as well as hazardous materials emergency response. In addition, the Fire District also conducts a comprehensive fire prevention program which includes a strong public education component. The District provides its own vehicle maintenance program, which now includes all Bluffton police and Town vehicles as well.
Address: 101 Progressive Street, Bluffton, SC 29910
Latitude and Longitude
Coordinates are: 32.240246, -80.859421
The zip code for Bluffton, SC is 29910.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades for Bluffton
- Municipal Association of South Carolina (MASC) Achievement Award, 10,001-20,000 Population Category, for Bluffton”s Old Town Master Plan & Implementation (2016).
- Forbes Magazine named Bluffton one of the “Best Places to Retire in 2016” (April 2016). – Huffington Post/Travel Section featured Bluffton in an article, “Visiting Sweet South Carolina.” (May 2016).
- “Only in Your State,” named Bluffton #1 in its list of “10 Up & Coming Cities in South Carolina Ready to Explode” (May 2016).
- Topretirements.com website named Bluffton the 4th “Friendliest Places to Retire” in its Top 10 List. (2016).
- Money Magazine named Bluffton one of the Top 20 Places to Retire in 2015, also naming Bluffton “Top Waterfront Retirement Destination” within the Top 20 list (June 2015).
- Garden & Gun Magazine named Bluffton a “Southern Dream Town.” (June/July 2015).
- “Only in Your State” website named Bluffton the 3rd “Safest and Most Beautiful Places to Live in South Carolina.” (2015)
- Niche”s named Bluffton one of the 2015 Best Places/Safest Towns in South Carolina.
- Niche.com named Bluffton #3, Best Towns to Raise a Family in South Carolina (2015).
- Forbes Magazine named Bluffton one of the Top 25 U.S. Cities for Retirement (2014).
- Family Circle Magazine featured Town Councilman Larry Toomer, his family, and his family business, Bluffton Oyster Company (June 2014).
- Southern Living Magazine selected Bluffton as the site for its 2014 Idea House.
- The Huffington Post named Bluffton its #1 destination for its list, “Ten Amazing Non-Beach Alternatives for a Summer Getaway” (2014).
- Only in Your State, The 18 Wedding Venues in SC Which Are Perfect in Every Way, #10 Rose Hill Mansion; #14 Palmetto Bluff (2015).
- NerdWallet, a consumer advisory company, named Bluffton one of the ten “Cities on The Rise in South Carolina,” (2014).
- Bluffton”s Highway 46 designated a “South Carolina Scenic Byway,” by the South Carolina Department of Transportation (2012).
- Don Ryan Center for Innovation/Clemson Technology Village; Bluffton was the first non-metropolitan town in South Carolina to partner with Clemson University to form a private-public Technology Village (i.e., business incubator).